Last update 2021/02/02
Sec. 71.4 of the Spanish Constitution:
«Deputies and Senators will receive a salary which will be set by the respective Houses.»
Sec. 23.1. of Senate Standing Orders:
«Senators will have (...) the right to salaries, allowances and reimbursement for expenses necessary for carrying out their duties as established in the Senate Budget (…). »
All sums included in this section on remuneration are received in 14 payments and are subject to the general system for tax with holding and payment.
Identical constitutional salary for all Senators: 3.050,66 Euros per month.
Monthly supplements based on position:
These salary supplements are incompatible with each other, excluding the Speaker of the Senate supplement which is compatible with that of Committee Chairperson, and the supplements for Parliamentary Group Spokespersons and Deputy Spokespersons, which are compatible with a Committee position.
The way that positions are currently distributed in the House bodies is as follows: Bureau of the Senate (1 Speaker, 2 Deputy Speakers and 4 Secretaries); Parliamentary Groups (8 Spokespersons and 15 Alternate Spokespersons) and Committees (34 Chairpersons, 64 Deputy Chairpersons, 21 Secretaries, 138 Spokespersons and 3 Deputy Spokespersons).
Senators have a right to «(…) allowances and reimbursement for expenses necessary for carrying out their duties as established in the Senate Budget (…).» (Sec. 23.1 of the Senate Standing Orders), and «within national borders, (…) to free use of means of public transport as determined by the Bureau of the Senate or to the payment, where appropriate, out of the House Budget, of the costs of journeys made in accordance with the regulations established by the Bureau from time to time», (sec. 24.1 of the Senate Standing Orders).
Bureau of the Senate Resolution, dated November 18th, 2014, concerning the monitoring and reporting of travel by Senators (Official Parliament Gazette [B.O.C.G.], Senate, nº 440 dated November 20th, 2014).
With this sum, distributed over 14 payments in an amout standing at. 1.958,02 Euros for Senators representing constituencies outside of Madrid, and 933,78 Euros for those elected for or allocated to Madrid, parliamentarians must meet the costs incurred through their activities in the House. This sum is therefore aimed at covering expenses and, as such, is tax-free in accordance with sec. 17.2 b) of Act 35 dated November 28th, 2006.
- The Senate covers Senators' public transport expenses (air, train, bus and boat fares) in the undertaking of their parliamentary activities, when carrying out activities of a political or sector-based nature or for institutional representation, as well as for any official trips made when representing the Senate; all duly justified as per the terms of the Bureau of the Senate Resolution dated November 18th, 2014, concerning the monitoring and reporting of travel by Senators (Official Parliament Gazette [B.O.C.G.], Senate, nº 440, dated November 20th, 2014).
The Senate pays the transport company directly for the ticket or reimburses Senators for their expenses subject to prior presentation of the invoice, including any costs incurred for parking at train stations and airports.
- Furthermore, the Senate provides Senators with a Taxi-Card with a maximum annual credit limit of 3,000 Euros, valid for journeys within the Madrid Self-governing Community.
- In the event of Senators using their own vehicles when travelling to the House to participate in parliamentary activities, subject to prior justification they will be reimbursed in the amount of 0.25 euros per kilometre, as well as the cost of any motorway tolls, where necesary.
The amount paid for expenses incurred on trips made by Senators on official business is set at 150 Euros per day when travelling abroad and 120 Euros per day for trips within Spain.
Expenses are not paid for travel to parliamentary sittings of the House (Plenary Sittings, Committees, Reporting Bodies,…).
Other financial assistance
- The Senate provides its members with a corporate mobile telephone to receive summons from the House by text message, as well as a laptop computer and a tablet for the electronic presentation of bills. (more information).
- All Senators have an office for their own or shared used in the Senate.
- Certain Senators may have assistants to support them in the performance of their duties:
The Speaker's Office currently has 8 members.
Members of the Bureau (Deputy Speakers and Secretaries) have 2 assistants each.
Distribution of attendees according to Parliamentary Group.
Distribution of attendees according to Parliamentary Group Grupo Parlamentario Número de Senadores Número de asistentes (Módulos) Ratio por Senador Socialista 113 21 0,19 Popular en el Senado 97 19 0,20 Esquerra Republicana-EH Bildu 15 3 0,20 Vasco en el Senado (EAJ-PNV) 10 2 0,20 Ciudadanos 7 2 0,29 Izquierda Confederal (Adelante Andalucía, Més per Mallorca, Más Madrid, Compromís, Geroa Bai y Catalunya en Comú Podem) 6 2 0,33 Nacionalista en el Senado Junts per Catalunya-Coalición Canaria / Partido Nacionalista Canario 6 2 0,33 Mixto 9 2 0,22